Friday, January 16, 2009

Working Out

So I've started working out. :(

I think Kirstin's reaction to this pretty much summarizes how I think of lifting weights. She said "What's that about?"

I have long valued the idea of regular exercise but have recognized that my main motivation for working out would be to look sexy for hot chicks. I have always lived this sort of double life between being vain and having contempt for vanity. In general though I have stayed away from this because I wouldn't trust myself if hot chicks were throwing themselves at me.

So with my motivations so murky I never exercised.

But recently Nate started working out. I've never worried about other people's motivations. He asked me if I wanted to start exercising too. I said yes because I do need to exercise if I am going to live past fifty and also it is just something to do with the guys. If the guys are getting together to jump off of bridges I would totally be doing that too.

It is a fact that in no way shape or form could I imagine working out by myself. I mean, it's hard! But with a group of friends, it is just what you're doing. So three days a week I work out with Jesse, Nate and Adam Richman.

It is a huge encouragement love fest. It is all "you can do it" "come on, come on" and "yeah, good job." It's high on positive affirmation and low on the pretense and posturing I often associate with stereotypical physical activities.

Jesse and Nate are currently on vacation in Peru (praying for your safety and Spirit guys!). So it is just Adam and myself. It is pretty cool making a new friend.

No comments: