Monday, August 10, 2009

Car Troubles

About a month ago I had attempted to go to the beach on a beautiful but hot summer day. Half way there Victoria (my car) started to over heat. It has had some overheating issues in past summers, especially if it sat idle after a long drives. I described it on Facebook and there was a general consensus that it was probably just my car being out of water and it was not that big of a deal. The next day there was no problem and no problem since then... though I never attempted anything like the Santa Cruz mountains.

Well Jem had an excellent (wonderfully planned) trip for the family to Felton. The feature was the Singing Saw Festival but really it was just an excuse to hang out with family and some of Jemuel's friends. The morning before Gramps expressed concern that maybe Victoria couldn't make a trip like that. I didn't think it would be an issue. I had made sure the fluids were fit and didn't expect any problems.

On the trip up Victoria started t overheat and by the time we got to the festival all of the water was out of the engine. I felt prepared. I refilled the fluids but she never stopped running hot. We drove slow up the mountain but she never stopped running hot. It was just me and my buddy Greg. We took a break in Los Gatos watched the second quarter of the Hall of Fame preseason game and checked the radiator fluids again.

We got maybe a couple of miles but she still ran hot. But the heat gage went way higher than it had ever gone before. I got scared so I got off the freeway and called for a tow truck.

Mike came to pick me up after Victoria was towed to a AAA auto shop and I went home.

Now I don't know that much about engines, if it is serious or expensive. My financial aid check should be in the mail any day now (I've been saying for seven days) but though I do struggle with fears and concerns I know that my life belongs to God and that He has wonderful, amazing, great, beyond belief plans for my life. I don't know if those plans include Victoria much longer... though I don't think the car problems are THAT serious, it is just that as important it was for me to be responsible enough to pay for a whole car loan my life is not measured that way.

I have and can again live riding a bike. I don't know how that will work when school starts up again but again my life iss not measured by the Credential Program either... though I will be begging, borrowing (not stealing) to make that work. The main point of my life, what I will be measure by is Christ's love for me. That is something I can rest secure with... though I'd like to drive Victoria for several more years.

1 comment:

Jesse and Melissa said...

That sucks Mikey, hopefully you can get another car soon or pray for a warm fall and winter so you can ride you bike.