Monday, March 30, 2009

diet and exercise

So about last January I joined a gym. I'd been "thinking about" exercise for a super long time but in general I considered my motivations clouded by vanity and pride. I was sort of concerned about my long term health but that thought was always over shadowed by this impulse to be sexy. I am pretty sure if I were considered unbelievably attractive to women I wouldn't do much with it because with some believably good looks, a degree of charm and a certain kind of confidence I still do not have sharp teeth, so to speak. It is kind of like why I am not tempted by fast cars; my Honda is fast enough and if anything I ought to be slowing down. But that generally held personality did not prevent all kinds of static like influences. I still am partly a product of main stream America so there is an ingrained thought "muscle, sexy, good."

So I never joined a gym or worked out.

But Nate did. So when he kept doing it and invited me it felt more like a way to connect with a buddy and get healthy and it was an inexpensive gym (huge factor).

So I worked out with Nate and sometimes Jesse and Adam Richman.

To best summarize the positive change is described late on most Sunday nights. I will be driving back to Fremont taking Bev back to her Dad's house from Oakland. She invariably passes out. I would pick her up and carry her inside. Before hand I would think "Pretty soon Bev will be too old for me to do this." But I hadn't given her a ride home in a while after working out and the first time I lifted her it was amazing. That was after just a month.

What I have found that an increased real and perceived strength also increases my sense of manhood. Granted masculinity is a troubled concept, either in short supply or else exaggerated to peversity, but I have found in my walk with God that it is something which is a part of His creation. Manhood is something shaped by social construction but it is also a real thing, with a Godly purpose.

Now increasing and strengthening this virtue does have dangers... just like increasing education or horse-power has dangers. I am depending on the Holy Spirit and good friends that my interest in growing stronger does not ever exceed my interest in becoming holy.

1 comment:

Jackson said...

Mark Rippetoe wrote this in Starting Strength:

"A weak man is not as happy as that same man would be if he were strong. This reality is offensive to some people who would like the intellectual or spiritual to take precedence. It is instructive to see what happens to these very people as their squat strength goes up."

While I do not think we are just animals the way he does, I have generally found this quote to be true. I do think that there is a harmful distinction we draw between the physical and the spiritual - I don't believe the two are as separate as we would often have them be - but I think I can honestly say that I am happier stronger than I am weaker.