Monday, December 29, 2008

Liz Phair and that girl at Outback

I was listening to Liz Phair's "Exile In Guyville" and I was moved by great sympathy for that girl at Outback with a reputation. I first learned about the reputation a gwhile back when so-and-so skipped out of poker with the guys to "hang out with her." I usually don't here about people's bad repuation because 1) people imagine that I am offended by sex 2) I am snide towards most forms of gossip. I wasn't very surprised to learn that girl had a repuation for putting out without commitments but immediatly felt sorry for her.


First, I also learned that night that despite my Christian principles that I am much less condemning towards sexual immorality. I don't know how much "they" are hypocrites but I was certainly suprised to hear some people speak against that girl and so-and-so for "hanging out." But in retrospect I must admit that Outbackers I have known have never been casual sexual practioners... or at least they have kept it quiet enough to stay off of my radar.

Second, I felt sorry for her because I can only imagine how she felt that she would call up an ex-boyfriend to "hang out." I am sure they both had fun but can not imagine that either of them felt very good about what was going on.

But blah, blah, blah, later I heard that some other Outbacker had started going out with some other Outbacker and then heard her tell him she didn't mind him hanging out with girls that were his friends... except for "you know who." Since I was almost eavesdropping (no inent but they were in a public place) I didn't ask who "you know who was" and after thinking about who they both knew and think that it was her.

Later when that couple broke up or something the guy got a big bruise on his arm and said that girl had bit him when they were both drunk.

To be sure it is all incomplete information and I am trusting my instinct on a lot of connections but I guess on the whole it doesn't really matter.

But then I am listening to Liz Phair's first album and am impressed by the musical sound but even more by how foriegn what she is singing about but yet how sympathetic it is. I can not help but thinking about that girl at Outback. I wonder is this what it feels like to be her? I think about how powerful words can be against a woman, how vulnerable a woman's heart is. I also feel how careless I will be as a husband and how much damage I might do and how much I don't want to hurt my far future wife.

But mostly I think that girl at Outback is trapped, in slavery if you will, by what she is doing.

So much to pray for...

No comments: