Monday, November 24, 2008

They Might Be Giants

Way back in high school I discovered the fun of D&D and the joy of They Might Be Giants around the same time. I think more of TMBG more than all of the gaming I have ever done but not as much as the friends I gamed with: gaming < TMBG < friends.

I am more familiar with the general album progression of TMBG than I am with pretty much any band except The Beatles. I can imagine that their first album could have been a pretty hip but obscure hit with some music intellectuals but everyone would agree that they as a band could never make any song as good as "She's an Angel." I know some people who might say the same thing even today. Then the next album, Lincoln, comes out and the same music intellectuals hold it as an artistic curiosity of sorts but clearly "Ana NG" is the best that they will ever produce. And so it goes with Apollo 18... and then Flood.

In some ways it must be admitted that Flood is the quintessential TMBG achievement. As far as commercial success and radio play it doesn't get any better than that was. But it remained a niche kind of thing. The next round of albums are enjoyed by fans and maybe still by musical intellectuals though they are no doubt no longer impressed by the novelty. TMBG has always been novel and intellectuals view this as a virtue in itself but eventually even novelty stops being novel.

In my gaming group TMBG was always held in high regards but only Adam was obsessed. But what I really appreciated about them seemed like a private pleasure: the poetry of TMBG. They have excellent lyric rhythm and it is actually fun to recite some of their songs. My head must bounce with the rhythm of their songs. I must admit that they are one of the more influential artists on certian kinds of my writing.

They are greatly appreciated for their continual sense of playfulness. They don't make you laugh but always smil and if you dance to TMBG it is never cool but always like a child. I do not try to be a silly person but the way I am silly is like They Might Be Giants.

1 comment:

nate are said...

I'm not a huge follower of TMBG, but I have to say that Flood is one of my all-time favorite albums. I haven't really listened to their other stuff, but that's mostly out of laziness.

But I have to say that I freakin' love that album. It's clever, it's catchy, it's a well-done musical. I love that disc.