Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Problem with Poems

First Date
I sat waiting for you when we said we would meet.
There was a single pink rose laying next to me.
I had bought a whole bouquet but that was "too much."
Eleven more rested in the back seat of my car.

You did arrive, a little late, but smiling and pretty,
"Thank you." Why did my rose once look so beautiful
But is brown and bruised when I offer it to you?
We talked not knowing each other, you said "I'm rambling."
I'm rambled too; we took turns, gave chances, we talked,
Got to know each other and saw myself from your view.

I didn't make you laugh; I didn't make you smile;
Insecure, I say I'd like to see you again.
Insecure, we make arrangements, a second date.
I go home unsure, but my car smells like roses.
09/27/06


This is probably my best poem.
But the bummer is that particular attempt at a relationship didn't last very long (mostly because of her deal) but still did inspire a very good poem. Now if I dated a lot that wouldn't be such an issue but now when I find someone who I am willing to swallow my pride enough to ask out and when we go out (of course she will say yes... duh) but I do not produce some very good piece of art it will be no good.
"Why didn't you write a poem about our first date?"
But really the poem wasn't so much inspired by Michelle because I wrote it before I knew her at all. It is about humility that is a part of reaching out to another person. Ha ha of course I think it also communicates why I am still single: I am horrible at dating! But I like that about myself and if I were to make a resume for my qualifications as a man in the bullet points would be that I do not think so low of women as to be completley comfortable good ones.

No comments: