Saturday, November 28, 2009

Time

So way way back in the day I was introduced to the ancient Greek philosophical problem of how time functions. It involved a footrace that could never end but I never got it, but I think I do now.

IF time is perfectly measured by moments then movement would be theoretically impossible. So if Heracles were running a 40 yard dash that race could be described as a collection of moments BUT there would be an infinite number of moments which described Heracles going half way to the finish line, those moments would literally never end. If time is only the collection of moments we could ALWAYS find a moment in which Heracles is half as close to the finish line. Since this number of moments is literally infinite it would be impossible for Heracles to reach the finish line. He would simply continually traveling half the distance for eternity.

Evidence shows that a moving object can and does reach a target and I do not consider myself qualified (or interested) to solve the problem, but at long last I at least understand the problem.

No comments: